Tired of putting Debug.Log() statements everywhere when trying to debug those pesky null references? Help is available. Wish you could stop your code at any point and examine variables within scope? Or better yet learn to enable conditional breakpoints and have the break point trigger at just the right time?
Intro to Visual Studio Debugging
Learn Visual Studio Debugging for Unity.
Course Length: 1 Hour
Course Delivery: Live Learning
Why take this course?
Visual Studio can be an intimidating piece of software when you are first starting out. Some don't use it beyond editing their source code files. Learn about helpful functions within Visual Studio which will save you time and reduce the number of issues and problems with your code. Debug.Log() can still be a useful tool but debugging your source code by single stepping through it is the next step to writing better code.
What will you achieve by the end of the course?
By the end of the course, students will have the skills and confidence to:
- Setup your project to interact with Visual Studio.
- Connect Visual Studio to the Unity editor at run time.
- Learn how to control the run time flow of your program with single stepping..
- Set debugging breakpoints to interrupt your code flow when it suits you.
- Set conditional breakpoints so the debugger automatically stops under certain conditions.
- Set watch variables so you can see the values of multiple variables at a glance while single stepping through your code
How To Start and Next Steps:
- Simply click on the calendar to the right and choose a day and time that is available.
- Once you have a session booked, please make sure you have installed the Unity Hub and preferably a 2019.3 version of Unity along with the Visual Studio Community edition 2019 prior to our scheduled time slot.
- We recommend you use the Chrome web browser and you are required to have a microphone (Web Camera optional). You will be sharing your desktop via Unity Connect so I can guide you through the course.
- Please let me know if you will be using using Unity on Windows or a Mac.
- If you already have a project you would like to debug, reach out to me via message and we can discuss tailoring the course to your project. or
- If not then use the Unity Hub learn page to download and open the Micro Karting project. This is a small project we will use to demonstrate debugging techniques using this code.
Full Satisfaction for our students
It is our aim to provide you with a great education by trained professionals in the industry. We pride ourselves on delivering a high quality experience to all our users and we look forward to seeing you in our next live session!
Still Have Questions?
Feel free to reach out to me directly via message by clicking on the 'Message' button above.
Glenn is a certified Unity Programmer who has been developing with Unity since 2009, First and foremost he considers himself to be a problem solver. He is interested in all forms of Unity development but likes to focus on XR Development. He is also learning about Data Science in general and how to apply ML to game/application development.
Unity Connect Profile: https://connect.unity.com/u/glenn-jones
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/glenn-jones-66921113/